Why invest in the Netherlands?
The Netherlands is at the center of the main economic area of Europe, where most US exporters will sell their goods. This zone is strategically located to serve Europe’s three largest economies: France, the United Kingdom and Germany. The Netherlands’ strategic location puts you in proximity to more than 170 million hungry European consumers within a 300-mile radius. Its superior transportation infrastructure enables you to serve them easily.
Europe's Economic Center
The Netherlands offers an advanced infrastructural network. Rotterdam is Europe’s largest port, Schiphol Amsterdam Airport ranked Europe’s best airport for passengers and cargo and the Netherlands is famous for its efficient high-speed highways and rail freight systems. Holland also has more distribution centers than any other European country.
Knowledge is in good supply as well in The Netherlands. Holland is home to Food Valley, the very heart of Europe’s burgeoning food industry. Its infrastructure includes some 1,450 food companies, 21 research institutes and 69 science companies that together have created a blockbuster cluster of innovation. Its areas of expertise include everything from genomics and nutritional research, to process and manufacturing technologies, to packaging and food safety.
Building on a strong, efficient cooperation between government, universities and the food industry, the Dutch are innovation leaders in Food and Nutrition.
Holland is also home to Europe’s most multilingual workforce, with employees who are well educated and trained, highly productive, and in good supply.
Find out why companies like Starbucks Corporation, Danone, Samsung Electronics, Tata Consultancy Services, FedEx, Cisco Systems, Abbott Laboratories and Nike have already invested in the Netherlands.
For additional information on investing in the Netherlands, please visit our Knowledge Center.
Strengths of the Dutch Food Industry
Some of the factors that contribute to making the Netherlands a leading force in the fields of agro-food production, distribution and research and development:
- The food sector accounts for more than 10% of Dutch national GDP, with over €63b in turnover, and 21% of Dutch export
- All areas of the agro-food chain are well represented — from seed development, manufacturing and processing to retailing
- Four Dutch food companies are among the top 30 food businesses worldwide
- The food industry is one of the “Top Sectors” supported by government policy
- World-class R&D infrastructure
- An excellent reputation in the field of food safety
- Use of high-quality raw materials from the domestic farming sector
- Efficient logistics and partnerships with retailers
- Innovation in the field of production processes and potential for innovation in the field of products with considerable added value and distinctive qualities
- A strong position in the EU and international markets for foods and stimulants
- Rapid growth of added-value products compared to other EU countries, which is a sign of the effective switch to products with a higher value-add
- High productivity compared to other EU countries
- Low cost production location compared to other Western European countries
Europe's Agro-Food Portal for North American Companies
More than 21 percent of Holland’s exports and 10% of its GDP are food-related. The food and agro-food industries employ nearly 750,000 people and account for some €63 billion in annual turnover. All of which helps to make Holland the world’s second-ranked agricultural exporter, behind only the United States. These are just a few reasons why so many North American and international agro-food companies have operations in the Netherlands.
Food companies find many advantages in the Netherlands to give their businesses a competitive edge — from infrastructure and distribution efficiencies to availability of affordable space and skilled labor. Holland also has a strong local base of food growers, and the mutual cooperation between the government, its food industry, and its renowned universities and research institutes is focused on working together efficiently and eliminating bureaucracy.
The Netherlands’ agro-food industry has been cited by the Dutch government as a “Top Sector.” This has garnered it priority focus, including funding and support for continuous innovation and strategic long-term planning. This high-level commitment is helping to attract more inward investment across Holland’s food industry each year. Learn more about how a Holland base can help your food company grow.
Food Valley is the Netherlands’ world-renowned knowledge cluster for agro-foods research and innovation. Here, industry, academia and the Dutch government work in a collaborative partnership for the latest discoveries in nutrition, genomics and more.
For additional background information on Food Valley in the Netherlands or specific information requests, please visit our Knowledge Center.